- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
62% - Often
62% - Often
|Synonyms:||accepting, endorsing, insuring, promoting, qualifying, sponsoring, verifying|
|Filed Under:||financial-banking, insurance, investments, legal-contracts, mortgages, real-estate|
Definition of underwriting (UW)
- underwriting (UW)
- 1. To support or agree to (a decision, for example). In real estate, underwriting refers to the analysis of the risk involved for a lender to grant a mortgage loan and whether or not the risk is acceptable. Underwriting involves a property evaluation as outlined in the appraisal report, and an evaluation of the borrower's ability and willingness to repay the loan.
- 2. The process undertaken by a financial service provider that consists of assessing a client for eligibility for a financial product (such as insurance, equity capital, credit or mortgages) and potentially issuing or distributing a product.
Related Terms and Acronyms:
credit rating (CR)
A judgement of a person's ability to repay debts. The rating is often based on a person's current and projected income and past debt payment history. Also called a credit score.
➥ A metric to measure the credit worthiness of a debtor.
credit report (CR)
A report on a loan applicant's willingness and ability to make payments in a timely manner in the past. This report is provided to the bank by an outside agency.
➥ A report that outlines the credit worthiness of an individual or entity.
- insurance cycle A cycle of soft and hard market conditions observed in the insurance and underwriting industry.
- Lloyd's of London A market for insurance and reinsurance based in London, England where Lloyd's members, underwriters and financial backers can spread and share risk.
- Mortgage Broker (MB) One who finds clients perspective lenders at generally no cost. Mortgage Brokers have a special relationship with lenders and can offer their clients the best rates and service. CanEquity goes through great lengths to ensure you are serviced by the best Mortgage Brokers in Canada.
- premium A payment made to an insurance company for insurance coverage.
- secondary market A market where financial instruments such as stocks, bonds, options and futures are bought and sold to investors.
- underwriter An entity that issues and distributes financial products including equity capital, credit, mortgages, and insurance.
- underwriting guide The rules and guidelines an underwriter must follow while writing policies.
- underwriting risk The total amount of risk an entity takes on from underwriting something.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
Search the Glossary
The Greatest Mortgage CalculatorSome would say that you can't improve on perfection — we respectfully disagree. We feel our new mortgage calculator is the greatest we've ever made and the best on the internet. Try it today and compare different mortgage rates, terms and amortizations.
Shop for the Best Mortgage RatesWe do our best to find the best mortgage rates in Canada. But if you do find better rates elsewhere, please let us know.