- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
76% - Very Often
76% - Very Often
Return on Investment
|Synonyms:||earnings to shareholders, payment from investment, profit on vested interest, rate of return|
|Filed Under:||financial-banking, investments|
|Tags:||accounting, finance, financial derivatives, investment, management, measurement, stock market|
Definition of return on investment (ROI)
- return on investment (ROI)
- 1. The gains or profit from an investment that is typically expressed as equity divided by cash flow.
Related Terms and Acronyms:
- adjusted cost basis The amount paid for an item, plus the amount paid for improvements, minus losses and depreciation. When the owner sells the item, the difference between the sales price and the adjusted cost basis is the profit or loss.
- capital gain (CG) The profit made by the seller when real estate or other capital assets are sold. Capital gains are taxed more favourably than earned income. However, this can be dependent on your tax bracket and the length of time you owned the asset before it was sold. You could pay approximately one-third to one-half less tax than you would pay on the same amount of earned salary.
- capitalization An estimate of the value of a rental or commercial property using the rate of return on investment and the property's annual net operating income.
- income approach A step in the valuation process of an income property. The value is reached by estimating the annual income minus an allowance for vacancies and bad debts and then subtracting annual operating expenses, real estate taxes, and insurance premiums to obtain the net operating income. This is then converted by capitalization into a capital value.
- internal rate of return (IRR) That rate at which the present worth of all present and future investment costs equals the present worth of all present and future investment benefits.
- investment Something you put your money into in order to make money.
- investment banking (IBK) Bank operations that manage a bank's funding position, as well as its holdings of Treasury bills, bonds and preferred and common stock.
- return on assets (ROA) A ratio that shows how profitable a company is when compared to its assets.
- return on equity (ROE) A ratio that shows how profitable a company is when compared to shareholder equity.
- yield-to-maturity (YTM) The internal rate of return on an investment. Typically takes into account all investment returns and their timing.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
- capitalization rate — Definition
- cash flow forecast — Definition
- cost basis — Definition
- dividend — Definition
- guaranteed return on investment (GROI) — Acronym
- rate of return on investment (RROI) — Acronym
- return on existing investment (ROEI) — Acronym
- return on gross investment (ROGI) — Acronym
- return on incremental investment (ROII) — Acronym
- return on internet investment (ROII) — Acronym
Search the Glossary
Compare Term Rates Using Our New Mortgage CalculatorThe length of your mortgage term is often correlated with your interest rate. By and large, longer terms have higher rates and shorter terms have lower rates. With our mortgage calculator you can try out different mortgage terms and rates in order to see how they will affect the amount of interest you will end up paying in the long term.
Mortgage Rates ChartYour money goes a lot further when you pay your home off with low interest rate. Make sure your mortgage isn't weighing you down with high rates and ridiculous payments. View our mortgage rates chart to find the best interest rates in Canada.
Apply Online and Secure the Best RateApply for a free mortgage quote today and see what one of Canada's earliest established online mortgage brokerages can do for you. Secure the lowest rates available for up to 120 days from the date of your pre-approval!