- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
38% - Moderately
38% - Moderately
|Synonyms:||cash back, cash back card, cash back credit card, rewards card|
Definition of rebate card
- rebate card
- 1. A type of credit card where customers accumulate cash, points, merchandise, or services based on card usage. Customers basically receive a small pay back for using the card.
Related Terms and Acronyms:
- Air Miles One of the most popular rewards issued by airline-affiliated co-branded cards. Air miles are earned with every use of the card, and then transferred monthly to the cardholder's account with that airline.
- American Express Company (AMEX, AXP) A corporation known for its credit card business.
- cash cards Cash cards, similar to pre-paid phone cards, contain a set amount of value, which can be read by a special cash card reader. Participating retailers will use the reader to debit the card in increments until the value is gone. The cards are like cash -- they have no built-in security, so if lost or stolen, they can be used by anyone.
credit card (CC)
A plastic card with a coded magnetic stripe that, when signed, entitles its bearer to a revolving line of credit, with a credit limit and interest rate determined by the borrower's income and credit report.
➥ A payment card that gives customers access to a revolving line of credit.
- debit card (DC) A payment card that is linked directly to a customer's bank account. Some cards require a personal identification number. Others require a customer's signature. A PIN-based or direct debit card removes a purchase price from a customer's chequing account almost immediately. A signature-based or deferred debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo and removes the purchase price from a customer's bank account in two or three days.
- interac Canada's largest shared network of ATMs. It allows cardholders to access their accounts from any ATM on the network regardless of which financial institution owns the machine.
- personal identification number (PIN) A unique, confidential number or pass code, usually consisting of four to six digits, entered by a customer when using an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) or Interac Direct Payment, that gives the customer access to his or her account.
- rebate A manufacturer's reduction on the price of a car as an incentive to buyers. Rebates appeal to people with no credit or less-than-perfect credit who cannot qualify for the lowest-rate loan. A rebate may also appeal to first-time buyers who don't have a lot of cash for a down payment or another car to trade in.
- secured credit card A credit card that a cardholder secures with a savings deposit to ensure payment of the outstanding balance if the cardholder defaults on payments. It is used by people new to credit, or people trying to rebuild their poor credit ratings.
- smart card A card with an embedded computer chip which stores more information, performs more functions and is more secure than a credit card or debit card.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
Search the Glossary
Mortgage Rates ChartYour money goes a lot further when you pay your home off with low interest rate. Make sure your mortgage isn't weighing you down with high rates and ridiculous payments. View our mortgage rates chart to find the best interest rates in Canada.
Mortgage RatesReady access to and relationships with a vast array of lenders gives our brokers the unique ability to offer you amazing mortgage rates and flexible products.
Home Loan Mortgage CalculatorCompare different payment schedules and mortgage interest rates using our new residential mortgage calculator. Knowing how it all works will help you get the best deal on your home loan. Try it out and tell us what you think.