- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
62% - Often
62% - Often
Rate of Return
|Synonyms:||earnings to shareholders, payment from investment, profit on vested interest, rate on investment|
|Filed Under:||financial-banking, investments|
Definition of rate of return (ROR, RR)
- rate of return (ROR, RR)
- 1. The gains or profit from an investment that is typically expressed as equity divided by cash flow.
Related Terms and Acronyms:
- annualized internal rate of return (AIRR) The internal rate of return on an investment that makes the net present value of all cash from a particular investment equal to zero.
- capital gain (CG) The profit made by the seller when real estate or other capital assets are sold. Capital gains are taxed more favourably than earned income. However, this can be dependent on your tax bracket and the length of time you owned the asset before it was sold. You could pay approximately one-third to one-half less tax than you would pay on the same amount of earned salary.
- capitalization An estimate of the value of a rental or commercial property using the rate of return on investment and the property's annual net operating income.
- capitalization rate An estimated percentage rate of return that a property will produce on the owner's investment.
- cash flow forecast An estimate of when and how much money will be received and paid out of a business. It usually records cash flow on a month-by-month basis for a period of two years.
- dividend Distribution of earnings to shareholders. In credit unions, it's the money paid to members for deposits, similar to the interest banks pay to their customers for deposits.
- expected rate of return (ERR)
- internal rate of return (IRR) That rate at which the present worth of all present and future investment costs equals the present worth of all present and future investment benefits.
- personal rate of return (PROR) A number for measuring the return you earned on your combined investment over a given time period. The PRR isolates and identifies the performance from cash flow letting you know how well your investment have done.
- yield-to-maturity (YTM) The internal rate of return on an investment. Typically takes into account all investment returns and their timing.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
Search the Glossary
Mortgage CalculatorHow does an adjustment in the size of your down payment change how much you'll end up paying for your new home? The difference can be staggering. Use our mortgage calculator and see how a simple change can save you tens of thousands of dollars.
Mortgage RatesGetting a low mortgage rate can mean the difference between you buying your dream home and... just a house. Look no further, apply today and get a great rate on your mortgage.
Brokers Compare Mortgage RatesThink the mortgage rate that your bank offered you looks a little high? You're probably right. Unlike a with a mortgage broker, your bank won't shop around for the best rate on the market. Click or tap on the mortgage rate comparison link below and check out the difference for yourself.