- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
62% - Often
62% - Often
|Synonyms:||liquidating, profit by selling assets|
|Filed Under:||financial-banking, investments, taxation|
|Tags:||accounting, finance, taxes|
Definition of capital gain (CG)
- capital gain (CG)
- 1. The profit that an owner makes when selling real estate or other capital asset. Capital gains receive more favourable tax treatment than regular income. Depending on your tax bracket and on how long you held an asset before selling it, you may pay about one-third to one-half less tax than you would have paid on the same amount if you had earned it as salary. See also "Capital Asset."
Related Terms and Acronyms:
- adjusted basis The amount you use to determine your profit or loss from a sale or exchange of property.
- long-term capital loss Your profit from the sale of a capital asset that you held for more than 12 months.
- ordinary dividends The distribution of a company's profits that are subject to full taxation.
- ordinary income Income that does not qualify as a capital gain including wages, interest, dividends, and net income from a business.
- rate of return (ROR, RR) The profit an investment generates, expressed as equity divided by cash flow.
- recognized gain or loss The amount of gain or loss reported for income tax purposes. You may be able to defer recognizing gain or loss on certain property exchanges, such as like-kind exchanges.
- return on assets (ROA) A ratio that shows how profitable a company is when compared to its assets.
- return on equity (ROE) A ratio that shows how profitable a company is when compared to shareholder equity.
- return on investment (ROI) The profit an investment generates, expressed as equity divided by cash flow.
- short-term capital gain (STCG) Your gain from the sale of a capital asset that you held for one year or less.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
- basis — Definition
- capital — Definition
- capital assets — Definition
- capital gain distribution — Definition
- capital loss — Definition
- current year capital gains (CYCG) — Acronym
- exempt capital gains balance (ECGB) — Acronym
- housing-equity partnership — Definition
- investment income — Definition
- liquidation — Definition
- long term capital gain (LTCG) — Acronym
- median price — Definition
- net interest margin (NIM) — Acronym
- net long-term capital gains (NLTCG) — Acronym
- net short-term capital gain (NSTCG) — Acronym
- passive income — Definition
- unrealized capital gains (UCG) — Acronym
Search the Glossary
Current Canadian RatesFor the best rate information in Canada, make use of our up to date interest rate comparison chart. Our brokers are not even remotely afraid of advertising our competitor's rates because we know how we stack up.
Your New Mortgage CalculatorAfter listening to your many suggestions over the years, we've worked long and hard to make our new calculator more powerful and even easier to use than ever before. Try it today!