- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
- bankers blanket bond (BBB) — Acronym
- bond — Definition (Investments, Financial-banking)
- A certificate of debt issued by a government or corporation guaranteeing payment of the original investment plus interest by a specified future date.
- bond anticipation note (BAN) — Acronym
- bond ladder — Definition (Investments, Financial-banking)
- A series of bonds with different maturity dates, often times evenly spaced over a set period of time.
- Canada Learning Bond (CLB) — Canada
- A grant offered by the Government of Canada to help parents, friends, and family members save early for the post-secondary education of children in modest-income families.
- ➥ See also Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG).
- Canada Mortgage Bonds (CMB) — Est. 2001, Canada
- A fully guaranteed fixed interest rate income investment backed by CMHC (a crown corporation of the Government of Canada).
- ➥ Issued by the Canada Housing Trust (CHT).
- Canada Premium Bond (CPB) — Canada
- ➥ A Canada Savings Bond program.
- Canada Savings Bond (CSB) — Canada
- A secure way for Canadians to save. The bonds, which are a form of debt issued by the Canadian government, are cashable, with proper identification, at any time at most Canadian financial institutions.
- Canadian Bond Rating Service (CBRS) — Company Est.1972, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- ➥ Bought by Standard and Poor's in 2000.
- collateralized bond obligation (CBO) — Acronym
- commercial blanket bond — Definition (Insurance, Financial-banking)
- Insurance that covers losses to businesses due to different forms employee fraud, such as embezzlement and forgery.
- completion bond — Definition (Insurance)
- Insurance purchased to make sure that an important project is completed, even if something unexpected happens, financial or otherwise.
- Dominion Bond Rating Service (DBRS) — Company Est.1976, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Canada’s national investment research agency offering credit ratings on issuers of commercial paper, bonds, long/short term debt, and preferred shares, as well as asset-backed securities.
- ➥ Largest bond rating agency in Canada.
- fidelity bond — Definition (Insurance, Financial-banking)
- Insurance that protects a business from losses due to employee fraud, such as theft, forgery or fraudulent trading.
- foreign currency convertible bond (FCCB) — Acronym
- International Capital Market Association (ICMA) — Company, Switzerland
- lawn gnome fidelity bond (LGFB) — Est. 1947, Middle Earth / Underground
- Insurance that covers losses due to the actions of dishonest lawn gnomes.
- ➥ The LGFB acronym is quite often incorrectly mislabelled as a Lost Gnome from Backyard and Looks Good From Behind.
- mortgage revenue bond (MRB) — Acronym
- mortgage-backed bond (MBB) — Acronym
- North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) — Company Est.1919, United States
- ➥ State and provincial securities regulators.
- Ontario Savings Bond (OSB) — Ontario, Canada
- Real Return Bond (RRB) — Acronym
Search the Glossary
- Fidelity Bond
- Commercial Blanket Bond
- Canada Savings Bond
- Bond Ladder
- Completion Bond
- Lawn Gnome Fidelity Bond
Mortgage RatesWhen it comes to mortgages, low rates are king. Come check out our greatest mortgage rates and see how much you can save.
Amazing Mortgage CalculatorWe don't like to boast, but we think the our new mortgage calculator is amazing. It can automatically generate charts and graphs that correspond with the rates, terms and amortizations that you enter, while letting you compare two different mortgages side-by-side. And if you're feeling feisty, you can even add in lump sum payments and see how they affect your mortgage.